International Data Security, a US start-up, plans to open the first of 50 ship-borne floating datacentres at Pier 50 in San Francisco in April.
Stories by Chris Mellor
Dell has become the first IT company to sign up to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) plan to report on supply chain carbon emissions.
French start-up Seanodes has a product that combines storage on many Linux servers into a single shared pool of storage, making networked storage unnecessary.
Sun Microsystems and a consortium of other organisations are going to lower an enclosed self-contained datacentre into a Japanese coal mine. The goal is to set up an underground datacentre, using up to 50% less power than a ground-level one.
Hitachi Data Systems has launched a new SMS 100 array which, the company claims, needs no on-site service. HDS also says the product will run for up to five years with plug-in replacement disk drives for failed drives.
Nearly nine out of ten IT UK and US IT departments think storage vendors should produce more energy-efficient hardware.
British internet hosting company Ecological Hosting is powering its datacentre with sunshine.
Hitachi Data Systems is enhancing its Adaptable Modular Storage (AMS) and Workgroup Modular Storage (WMS) mid-range products to reduce energy consumption and cooling costs.
Intel and other companies have formed a group to promote the USB 3.0, which should deliver more than 10 times the speed of the existing USB 2.0 standard.
Datacentre management software vendor Cassatt has unveiled technology that allows datacentre managers to automatically switch off idling servers.
T.R. Systems, a US federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
Sun has released a virtual tape library that uses StorageTek software and its X4500 hybrid server hardware.
Cisco has announced a platform to provision server, storage and network resources as virtualised services in the datacentre. It is part of its Data Center 3.0 strategy, one aimed at the real-time, dynamic orchestration of infrastructure services from shared pools of virtualised server, storage and network resources, while optimising application service-levels, efficiency and collaboration.
Most used printer cartridges are thrown away with less than half re-used or even recycled, according to a new report from InfoTrends.
Memory system designer SST has combined NAND and NOR-like flash memory with RAM to produce a single chip with three memory applications.
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations VIC
- Voice Engineer ACT
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations ACT
- Multiple Security Analysts ACT
- Senior Business Analyst QLD
- Senior IT Project Manager VIC
- Penetration Test Analyst ACT
- IT Portfolio Management Analyst WA
- Junior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - Brisbane QLD
- Service Delivery Manager NSW
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.