Computer science isn't just about hardware and software anymore.
Stories by Gary Anthes
What's coming in "green" IT? There is growing recognition that IT devices consume an enormous amount of power. Technology vendors are beginning to make claims about their products' efficiency and power consumption, and yet there is no independent third party to certify these claims. But we will see the emergence of [such] bodies, and it will be a huge help to buyers.
It's going to be a tough year for IT project managers, according to a recent Computerworld US poll.
Disaster recovery used to be easy.
The creator of the basic principles of packet switching, the foundation of the Internet, warns IT managers not to bet on only one broadband technology in 2007.
Vinton G. Cerf is vice president and chief Internet evangelist at Google Inc. He is a co-designer of the TCP/IP protocols and the architecture of the Internet. In December 1997, President Clinton presented the National Medal of Technology to Cerf and colleague Robert E. Kahn for their pioneering work on the Internet. Cerf spoke recently with Computerworld's Gary Anthes.
Robert W. Lucky is an engineer and writer. He was a senior researcher first at Bell Laboratories, then at Bellcore and later at Telcordia Technologies Inc. At Bell Labs, he invented the adaptive equalizer -- a technique for correcting distortion in telephone signals that is used in all high-speed data transmissions today. In 1987, he received the Marconi Prize for his contributions to data communications. He is author of the popular book Silicon Dreams (St. Martin's Press, 1989). He spoke recently with Computerworld's Gary Anthes.
Chevron accumulates data at a rate of 2TB a day, or 23MB every second. But accommodating this data is seen as neither a technical challenge nor a financial burden — it’s an opportunity. “It’s an issue of ‘you have this information, how are you going to search it and use it’?”, says Gary Masada, corporate CIO and president of Chevron’s IT department.
Can it last?
Leave car rental firms in the dust
Apparent protest at anti-porn law
Will provide assurance to WWW users and site providers that sites meet minimum security specs
Looking for protection from network congestion and shutdowns
Macro virus major new threat; email new means of transmission
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations VIC
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations ACT
- Business Analyst NSW
- Project Coordinator NSW
- Technical Lead - Infrastructure SME NSW
- Project Delivery Coordinator QLD
- MessageQueue/DataPower Administrator VIC
- Junior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - Brisbane NSW
- Senior PMO Manager NSW
- Change Manager-Port Macquarie NSW
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.