Consider these two facts: Fact 1: many of the world’s largest internet companies, including Google and Facebook, derive most of their revenue from serving up online advertisements.
Stories by Guy Burgess
The collapse of one of Telecom’s software providers Aldous demonstrates that the value of source code escrow is only as good as its implementation. This column looks at the Telecom situation, and outlines key components to a robust escrow arrangement.
As oil continues to gush into the Gulf of Mexico, BP has tried to limit some of the damage to its reputation by purchasing search terms such as "oil spill" and "BP lawsuit". Its aim is simple: to improve the chances of getting its own message across when people search for information on the spill.
The global financial crisis has exposed many instances of reckless deal-making leading to spectacular losses.
Recently the Government announced its intention to adopt a select committee’s recommendation to “exclude software from patentability” – that is, to ban software patents. Where will the ban — if implemented — leave local software developers’ ability to protect their intellectual property?
New Zealand’s Copyright Act 1994 allows a user to make a backup copy of their computer programs for certain purposes.
When a New Zealand company or individual becomes insolvent, their assets are typically seized or sold to pay off creditors. For software developers, this can mean losing ownership of their source code. Other valuable intellectual property could also be lost, including domain names, trade marks, documentation, customer lists and client data.
Have you ever wondered if your website disclaimers are really necessary? A recent case provides a timely reminder of how a disclaimer can protect you from liability for website mistakes.
If your business operates a website or even just a basic office network, a recent law change provides you with limited, but still useful, protection against some types of copyright liability.
- Voice Engineer ACT
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations ACT
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations VIC
- Senior Agile Business Analyst NSW
- Engagement Officer NSW
- DevOps Developer (Chef/IAF/Linux) QLD
- SAP HR / Payroll Analyst SA
- Training and Support Lead ACT
- BI / ETL Developer WA
- Network Architect NSW
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.