The telco sector and rural lobby groups doubt the government has earmarked enough investment to build critical rural broadband infrastructure.
Stories by Jenny Keown
Telecom could face a $2 billion bill if it goes a step further on the separation path and spins off its network business Chorus, according to sources within the telco.
Telco commissioner Ross Patterson has asked for a public retraction from Telecom for its "misleading statements" accusing the commission of giving it no guidance around wholesale loyalty pricing.
Telecom needs to rein in its growing debt mountain, says New Zealand Shareholders Association chairman Bruce Sheppard.
Telecom has launched yet another wholesale discount offer to the market, but rivals claim the deal is anti-competitive.
Internet traffic on the government's proposed $1.5 billion broadband fibre network is in danger of grinding to a halt at the country's border unless international capacity issues are resolved, says Kordia's chief executive, Geoff Hunt.
Third mobile entrant NZ Communications will launch in August in limited retail channels, including petrol stations and supermarkets, instead of through its own retail stores, according to unattributed company sources.
Telecom's half-year net profit has tumbled 59 percent as the company battles declining prices for calling and Internet services and rising costs to meet new government regulations.
Net profit for the six months to December fell to $163 million from $397 million.
However, the figure tracked most closely by financial analysts and investors landed comfortably within guidance, with operating earnings of $884 million, a 5.5 percent fall on the year before.
Read more on BusinessDay.co.nz
Auckland City Council has launched a city wi-fi broadband service today covering seven zones as it strives to help stimulate business activity.
Telecom chief executive Paul Reynolds has launched an attack on the country's regulatory framework, saying it hinders investment in infrastructure.
The Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) has slammed the self-regulatory body that looks after New Zealand phone numbers after it sold thousands of numbers to foreign companies.
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations ACT
- Technical Analyst, Cybercrime Operations VIC
- Salesforce CloudSense Lead VIC
- Business Analyst - Multiple Roles ACT
- Project Schedulers QLD
- Win10 Packaging & Deployment WA
- Junior IT Project Manager NSW
- Senior Business Analyst NSW
- Technical Lead - Infrastructure SME NSW
- Technical Writer - Based in Brisbane NSW
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.