The Internet Party founded in 2014 by Kim Dotcom to contest the 2014 election has confirmed that it plans to contest the 2017 general election on September 23.
However this will be without Dotcom who resigned from the party earlier this year and who is presently appealing against an extradition order to the US.
In a statement announcing its election bid the Internet Party said: “[Kim Dotcom] is not involved in the campaign committee for our 2017 campaign, or its operational decision-making. As such, Kim Dotcom has no advance knowledge that we are issuing this statement.”
The party won no seats in 2014 and scored less than two percent of the vote. In this week’s statement it said: “The Internet Party and its events were seriously misrepresented in the New Zealand media in 2014, particularly the Moment of Truth, at which many revelations were made by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the New Zealand government’s complicity in US mass surveillance efforts.”
It added: “Local media reported the Moment of Truth as a flop despite record attendance in-person and online, and the numerous unique revelations made by Snowden throughout the event. This revisionist history has a use-by date that is set to expire in 2017.”
The statement warned: “Further information will continue to come to light about the extent to which New Zealand and the world have been actively deceived by their politicians and the state. …In 2014, injury was done to the historical record of New Zealand politics. We look forward to that being corrected, for the benefit of all New Zealanders.
The party has not yet given any indication of how many seats it will contest nor has it named any candidates. Its web site says a New official campaign 2017 website is coming soon.
A candidates’ page on its existing web site has spots for six candidates and carries the message: “We are presently accepting names for candidate slots for all areas of NZ. If you are interested in becoming a candidate or can recommend someone please go here and get added to the list.