The maintenance of phone services in Auckland throughout the CBD power crisis was a matter of anticipation, say the major telcos.
Telecom made contingency plans on Thursday February 19, the day the third of Mercury Energy’s four major cables failed.
“We’d been using generators at the Mayoral Drive and Airedale Street exchanges since the 17th,” says Telecom’s Peter Brittenden. “We got the feeling from Mercury that things were getting worse, not better, so we planned for that.”
The other telcos all say they maintained full operations. Nicola Lamont of Telstra says the Auckland switch is running on a backup generator. BellSouth says preparations were well in place. “Every critical site is running, and fortunately we already had all sorts of backup systems in place,” says spokesman Mark Champion.
Clear is also continuing to keep its customers online, although it says there had been an impact on some local services. Worldxchange has offered assistance to businesses affected by the power crisis by making available some of the 0800 numbers it holds.