- Former Fisher & Paykel MIS manager Bruce Caldwell joins TranzRail as chief information officer, replacing retiring Garry White.
- ACI, supplier of electronic funds transfer processing software to Westpac, ANZ and EDS, opens an Auckland office after a year of managing the market from Australia.
- Wellington company Morel Ventures approaches investors to take a stake in hi-tech companies through a new venture capital fund No 8 Ventures.
- A survey reveals local government is lax in preparing for Y2K and not one council has successfully tested plans to tackle the issue.
- Wang CEO Doug Wilson resigns to go "walkabout" on the East Cape. Hewlett-Packard managing director Bob Cattell also quits citing lifestyle reasons.
- Systems integrator Trilogy buys 50% of Web developer Netbyte Internet expanding its technical services to corporates to include e-commerce solutions.
- Compaq announces the shock resignation of CEO Eckhard Pfeiffer.