Even as it celebrated its merger announcement last week, Ihug was hit with a denial of service attack similar to those inflicted on major US sites.
Ihug director Tim Wood, replying to a query in the ihug.general newsgroup, confirmed that on Thursday night, at the same time as sites such as CNN were being hit, Ihug suffered an attack on an Ascend Max hub (which the company uses for dial-in access) located in Timaru which "caused the international link to get swamped for a while."
The customer who complained about problems last Thursday night said the users suffered what was "obviously a major network problem. International access was non-existent and only some local sites were reachable for several hours."
Other postings to the newsgroup indicate up to 90% packet loss for a time. Some customers are unhappy that Ihug has yet to make a formal announcement about the attacks
"We have been having meetings to discuss what measures we will be putting in place," Wood told Ihug newgroup readers. "There was no MOTD (message of the day) as NOC staff wanted to spend as much time looking at where the attacks were coming from and then to clear whatever post was made with me
"These attacks are very hard to defend from. However we feel we have a variety of solutions we can put in place to limit their damage."
One issue is that the attack does not appear to have struck all Ihug customers. One claimed to have had "good solid connections and no loss of international access" last Wednesday and Thursday nights other than that to the major US sites being hit themselves by DoS attacks, such as Yahoo! and CNN.
The Ihug Message of the Day page lists an unexpected loss of access to some international sites yesterday afternoon, but says the problem has been "traced and fixed".