Interest in registering rude names has "all but died off", says Domainz CEO Patrick O'Brien.
And at least one domain name seller has banned "expletives" from its services.
Some 30 to 40 applications were immediately made for Domain names with previously-banned words when they were made available at midnight on June 1.
But since that day demand has dropped to "virtually nothing”, says O'Brien.
The names were made available when Domainz owner, Isocnz changed its policy of banning such words.
Isocnz chair Peter Dengate Thrush says there was considerable discussion on Internet discussion groups about the move to lift the ban on "offensive names", which generally supported Isocnz’s position that it is not the society's role to take a moral stance.
O'Brien says the move allows Domainz to register Domain names faster than before, as it doesn't have to physically check all applications.
Registering times have dropped from a day to a few hours and it's planned to take just seconds by the end of the month.
However, at least one Web site hosting company has told Domainz it will not register names it feels are inappropriate. Peter Mott, chief “enthusiast” for Auckland-based, 2day.com, says this is to protect the reputation of the company.