Dear What Am I Worth,
I am a Wellington-based senior developer. My history has predominantly been programming in Gupta/Centura, since 1993, with exposure to Cobol, C, HTML and a couple of smaller hand-held PC-type languages.
I have a three-year diploma in data processing and a project management diploma. I have good OO skills. My database knowledge and use includes QLBase, Informix, Oracle and Sybase.
Projects I have developed (overseas) include:
- booking and scheduling systems for farm produce;
- interfacing scientific instruments to PCs for a water company;
- branch stock control and distribution software for a clothing distributor;
- financial software for a steel manufacturing company and a chemical production plant; and
- scheduling software for a steelworks.
Leadership experience has been relative to the project worked on, and has included chairing and running a technical support group for a large company.
I have team leader and minor project manager responsibilities. I have good communication skills.
Candle IT&T replies: For a senior developer with responsibility for the entire SDLC, RDBMS and OO skills, you can expect to be earning anywhere between $60,000 and $85,000.
The development languages you mention are a little outdated and not in popular demand; however, if you were to gain some experience in some of the Web development tools (either Java or Microsoft), or even VB and/or C++, this would vastly improve your earning potential.
Submit your question to What Am I Worth?