You may just want to stay out of the way. The NZ Police's Auckland e-crime unit (ECU) offers some some basic advice to officers at a suspected crime scene:
- Keep those suspected of IT offences away from target systems.
- Take photos and/or sketches of equipment location, record model and serial numbers.
- Devices that are on stay on (record on-screen data), those off stay off.
- Label all cables at all connection points.
- If PCs running during a search warrant, screen activity should be recorded and then computers turned off AT THE WALL. If PC networked, check with ECU.
- Think conventional forensic, that is, fingerprints, photos, trace evidence.
- Put system in non-static bags and keep away from other electronic devices.
- Recover all disks, related paper and exact passwords.