The Ministry for the Environment is sitting on 70 tonnes of waste glass from cathode-ray displays collected during eDay 2009 and has issued a request for Expressions of Interest (EoI) to ensure appropriate disposal of such waste in the future.
On Saturday the eDay collection of waste from the public collected weighed about 900 tonnes and filled 110 shipping containers, but the Ministry still has to clear away waste from last year's collection.
Controversy clouded eDay 2009, when one of the subcontractors charged with disposal of the waste was convicted of exporting some of it without the necessary consent under the Basel convention. This convention seeks to ensure that waste is disposed of properly and not simply exported to become another country’s problem.
This year, the 2020 Communications Trust is collecting the waste and sorting it into different kinds of material, but the Ministry will organise the “chain of custody” thereafter and ensure the appropriate checks are done on the integrity of disposal or reuse, says MfE senior analyst Dana Peterson.
This, however, is “an interim arrangement”, Peterson adds.
The EoI is seeking someone in the longer term to take ownership of the eDay 2010 waste and the glass from the 2009 collection and deal with it. The emphasis is on reuse if possible and on local processing and least preferred option is disposal in a landfill.
The contractor will have to “maintain a demonstrably unbroken chain of custody from uplift of the materials to their final disposition, keep accurate records for activities by both contractor and sub-contractors, and report them fully to the Ministry”.
The document says “it is not the intention of The Ministry for the Environment to award a contract from this process; however, the Ministry for the Environment reserves the right to do so”. The successful contractor is provisionally asked to take possession of the materials by January 31 next year.