Weta 'sensitive' about HP blade fire
- 22 September, 2008 22:00
Something “sensitive” happened at Weta Digital’s datacentre in Wellington about two weeks ago.
Computerworld had been told an HP blade server caught fire, bringing out the fire brigade.
Partly true, according to a PR spokeswoman at Weta. She says a “sensitivity” caused a hot spot in an old computer room, about to be decommissioned, which triggered an automatic call-out by the fire brigade. Asked to define “sensitivity”, she couldn’t. “But there is no story,” she said.
Computerworld sources say the call-out was around 3am, caused by the failure of the power supply in the chassis of a high-density blade. “They lost all 32 servers in the chassis,” a source says, “but because they have so many servers it didn’t shut down the business.” The equipment was replaced under warranty.
Weta Digital commissioned its new extreme density datacentre this month.
Microsoft misjudges customer loyalty with kill-XP plea
Education ministry gets new CIO
Facebook coughs up $19bn to buy WhatsApp, draw younger users
Telecom to change name to Spark
Nov'IT says flashing a new ROM onto your Android phone can make it more secure