The hearing that will decide whether Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom is extradited from New Zealand to face copyright infringement charges in the United States has been postponed again.
The extradition hearing had been scheduled to take place in August but that date looked unlikely to be met as a result of other Dotcom hearings.
Dotcom’s legal team have been arguing they need to see the evidence against their client so they could prepare for his extradition hearing. In a series of rulings the District and High Courts ruled in Dotcom’s favour, but the Court of Appeal overruled them. But Dotcom was recently granted leave to appeal to the Supreme Court, a case will now be heard at the Supreme Court on July 30. William Akel, a lawyer acting for Dotcom, told Computerworld that this meant an August extradition would not be possible.
Akel says that he has been given a date of November 21 but if that date could not be met the extradition hearing would take place in April next year. He says it was “not immediately clear” whether there is any time limitation on proceedings under New Zealand’s Extradition Act.